In Monday’s post I mentioned that I was searching for a pattern for a pattern to make a beanie with cat ears. I am pleased to announce that after a momentary distraction with the cat hat, I was able to find and craft a beanie with cat ears.
While the hat pictured in the pattern is cute, I did have some issues with the pattern. First of which was the gauge. Ever since the skirt fiasco, I always gauge before beginning anything. However, the gauge for this pattern was too vague to be helpful. All it said was “8 stitches and 6 rows equals 2 inches.” Two rows of what? I tried half double crochet, since the hat is made using half double crochet, but that was too big. I tried single crochet, which worked, but left me worried that I was supposed to be using half double crochet, and that my my beanie would end up looking funny. Judging from the comments, I wasn’t the only one worrying about the gauge.
I also would have liked to see the number of stitches that each round was supposed to have listed. The pattern stated that the beginning chain didn’t count as a stitch, and I was unsure of what to do with it. Was each round supposed to get one stitch bigger? I wasn’t sure. In the end I just ignored the stitch, which seemed to work out okay as the seem in the back of my hat matched the one pictured.
I did modify the pattern slightly. I was using the left over off white yarn I had bought a couple of years ago when making scarves for the Special Olympics. I had about two thirds of a skein left and didn’t really want to buy more of it, because then I’d still have a part of a skein of off white left over. Instead of doing 29 rounds of the hat, I only did 20, and I only did one round of ribbing around the edge. Short cutting the pattern didn’t make much of a difference in the appearance, at least in my point of view. The pattern states that the bottom ribbing adds warmth to the hat, and since I live in an area where warmth isn’t an issue I figured it wouldn’t make much of a difference.