Blanket of Doom

Welcome to Doom

Vintage Book Organizer

1 Comment


Recently, I happened across a post for an Activity Book created from an old book (be sure to click the link and check out the awesome tutorial). While I don’t have kids, it seemed like the perfect thing to create for my sister-in-law as she graduates high school and prepares to set off for college.

Finding the book to use for this project turned out to be a lot harder than I thought. I didn’t realize how many hard cover books were so plain-looking under their dust jackets. But I will admit that the looks I got while shopping were really hilarious, I guess most people don’t pick up book after book pealing back the dust jacket and putting it back.

My hard work paid off when I found this little gem at the Goodwill, and my patience was rewarded when at the checkout I learned that it was half-price Saturday. Hooray for $2 books.

Since the book is for a new college student,  I decided to add a few more pockets so that she could store a variety of things, such as a planner, an ID card, eraser, etc.

I pretty much followed the pattern for the DIY Activity Book.

The removal of the book pages from the book itself turned out to be much easier than I thought, since it wasn’t attached to the spine itself. It made a nice clean-cut.

Tho I will admit that seeing a gutted book was kinda sad. *moment of silence*

In order to give the project some extra stabilization, I used poster board to create some extra attachment points.

It also made sizing and cutting out the fabric background much easier, since the poster board was a little less floppy than the gutted book.

I loved the way the pencil holder didn’t have stitching along the bottom, so I created all the pockets by folding the fabric in half. While it used more fabric, it gave the pockets more give, which was good since the book didn’t allow for much flexibility.

The idea for the nested pockets came from this tutorial on a stationary holder.

To put everything together, I started by using modge podge to attach the fabric to the poster board, hand stitch the fabric to the poster board (since I always seem to have problems with the edges of projects pealing up), and then using modge podge to attach the poster board to the book itself.

In order to aid the stitching, I ran the poster board through the machine without any thread. While it seemed like a good idea at the time, the modge podge filled up the holes and I had to poke though them in order to get the stitches in.

When applying the modge podge, it started to leak through the fabric in some places, so in order to prevent the pockets from being attached forever, I used some pencils and pens to keep them propped up and away from the glue.

After attaching the poster board to the book , I used a case of soda to hold it down and let it dry overnight.

I don’t think all the layers of the modge podge and stitching were needed, but it doesn’t hurt I guess.

I think it turned out rather nice,  with all the colors and the fun pockets. I’m sure it will make my sister-in-law the envy of everyone in college.

Advertisements

Author: Lizzybeth

I have too much time on my hands.

One thought on “Vintage Book Organizer

  1. Pingback: Travel Tech Organizer « Blanket of Doom

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s