Blanket of Doom

Welcome to Doom

1 Comment



I was about half way through my baby blanket when I spread it out to look at it on the bed to have a look at how it was turning out. Now, I know I have laid it out before to look at it, but was apparently drunk each time, because I noticed it was doing this weird wavy thing on the side, and there were whole chunks of rows that were either tighter or had fewer stitches, and chunks of rows that were longer.

Needless to say that wasn’t going to pass.

Luckily I was already mad at the blanket and felt great satisfaction in ripping it out.

So if you’ve ever wanted to see what 280 g of yarn looked like all kinky and laying on the floor, here you have it.

I’m giving the blanket one more chance, and if it doesn’t start looking the way I want it to…well I’m not sure what I’ll do. Maybe a nice fire. (kidding). Wish me luck!



Epic Blanket of Win

After countless hours of work, it is finally finished. I present, the epic blanket of win.

This massive 7×9 blanket was too big to get a picture that included all of the detail, but I assure you, it is pretty epic.

Each square was lovingly hand crafted using blocks adapted from the book 200 Knitted Blocks, an amazing book that not only has block patterns, but also tips on how to put blocks together to make some pretty awesome quilts.

Each block was made on size 13 needles using classic yarn and baby yarn. The blocks were attached to one another using a single crochet worked between two blocks. I finished the blanket off with a round of single crochet followed by a round of double crochet.

I’ve been working on this blanket so long, I’m

almost sad to see it finished. I have a feeling I’ll be beginning another before too long. Stay tuned!

Leave a comment

Teeny Preemie Beanie

The other day, I came across this ultra cute beanie pattern on the Lion Brand yarn website. It was so adorable that I just had to make it right away.

I was surprised that this pattern called for the use of an I hook, it being for tiny babies I thought that ti would use something smaller. However, this was a pleasant surprise as it meant that the pattern would take less time. This one took me about two hours.

Instead of using ribbon for the contrasting color on this hat, I used yarn instead. It makes the contrast a bit more subtle, and is much softer than any of the ribbon I had available at the time.

Originally I wanted to add a flower decoration to make the hat a bit more feminine, but was unable to find a pattern that didn’t completely overwhelm the hat. Perhaps another time.

Leave a comment

Epic Blanket of…Win? Part 7

The epic blanket saga will soon be coming to a close.

Thus far I have crocheted together all but two rows of this blanket.

Here you can see some of the details of how the blanket looks from the back. I’m saving front pictures for the big reveal.

Crocheting the pieces together is going far better than sewing them usually does, and the blanket is slowly but surely coming together. I only wish that it wasn’t so hot out while doing this. One hundred degree heat plus wearing a huge blanket does not equal a happy Liz.


Preemie Hat

For today’s project I made a preemie hat. I found the project pattern on the Care Wear Volunteers website. This website is really awesome, I recommend that everyone check it out. Its got all kinds of cute patterns as well as a list of hospitals seeking hand made donations.

This was the first crochet beanie I had made that the pattern was worked in rows instead of rounds. Reading the pattern confused me at first, I thought that it was going to be much smaller than it actually turned out being.

The pattern called for the use of hooks E and F. I don’t have an E hook, so I used F and G instead. There wasn’t a finished size listed, but I don’t think that the hook substitution made too much of a sizing difference.

I did have some issues with the counting of the pattern. I couldn’t get my decrease rows to match the number of stitches in the pattern. I’m thinking that I may have made a mistake in counting one of the rows and decreased too many. The beanie didn’t come out too horribly misshapen, so I guess I was lucky. I plan on making a few more to see if I can get these rows right.

My beanie donation box is starting to get full, it’ll be time for a trip to the hospital soon!

1 Comment

Bombshell Skirt

I want to start today’s post with a lesson about gauging.

The two skirts on the left were created with the same pattern (found in the book Punk Knits). However, I was too lazy when I started making the black one to do the gauge swatch. As you can see, it ended up much smaller than the blue one. So for those of you out there who are too lazy to follow the gauging suggestions, take this post as an example of why it’s important. Each of the skirts took me the better part of two months to create, it was very disappointing to finish up the first one I made only to find it was too small.

Great! Now that’s out of my system I can go on to comment about the actual skirt.

First off, this is a lovely pattern. The original pattern called for the use of yarn containing elastic. I chose instead to use Red Heart Classic yarn for the black skirt and baby yarn for the blue one. This was the source for the gauging issue, as these yarns don’t stretch in the intended way.

This project was my first time working with the baby yarn. I must admit that I really like it. The baby yarn skirt was so much softer than the one created with classic yarn! I’m definitely going to be incorporating baby yarn into more of my projects, even if they are for adults.

As one can see in the close up detail, the patter called for dropping stitches. That was such an imaginative way to give the skirt an A-line shape, and I must admit, a much better way than by having to decrease stitches every given number of rows. Anything that reduces the amount of counting I have to do is a great idea in my book.