Blanket of Doom

Welcome to Doom


1 Comment

More Cat Hats

I’ve been working diligently on a scarf lately, but I’ve grown bored. So I’ve decided to start working on more hats.

I’ve decided to start a series of hats inspired by the Crazy Cat Hat pattern that I featured in August.

The second hat in the series, which is still in the process of being created, is inspired by my kitty cat Tigger. Being a tiger cat, I chose to use Zebra yarn from Red Heart.

This yarn is a lot thinner than the one called for in the pattern. In order to make my hat fit, I used a K (6.5mm) hook. I also added to the number of rounds to make the hat long enough.

I’m going to begin working on the ear flaps for the hat today. I’m really excited to see how the patterning works out. I really like the spiral stripes it has right now, and I hope that it is able to continue to some degree.


Leave a comment

Knitted Gas Mask Part 2

Working the nose cone is going to be the most difficult part of this pattern. I spent a great deal of time thinking about the best way to shape it.

I figured I would make a strip to go around the nose cone, but that leaves the bottom portion.

At first, I decided I would make a square and just sew it into the strip that goes around it. However, once I got about half way through making the square, I realized that it would not only be really difficult to shape properly, but it would be really bulky in areas.

I decided to go with a circle instead. I used double point needles and took a wild guess about how many stitches to cast on. I also worked this section in a stocking knit stitch. After getting part way through, I was happy to find that my random guess about¬†circumference¬†wasn’t too much bigger than what I had in my head. I think I’m starting to get good at this whole pattern writing thing.


Leave a comment

Knitted Gas Mask Part 1

Last month, I made the mistake of showing my boyfriend this blog. While looking through my postings, he found a post I had made commenting on a knitted gas mask. Being the man he is, he ignored my commentary on the pattern and instead asked if I could make him one.

After thinking for a long while about why I’m dating someone so crazy, I finally gave in and said I’d do it.

Last week I finished up the hat for the base of this mask, and this week I’m working on making the front of the mask.

Creating the front of the mask was easy enough. I worked it in a stocking knit stitch, and bound off stitches to create the eye holes.

Creating the eye holes was really interesting, as I had to hold the piece up to my face and use that to try and guesstimate how wide and long to make each eye hole. I’m glad I have my own room, otherwise people would think I’m crazy, since I would make one row, carry the project to the mirror, hold it up to my face, and sit there thinking about how shape the next row.

Once the eye holes were finished, I continued in the stocking knit stitch until the piece reached past my chin and could touch my neck. Again, I’m sure I looked silly doing this because every few rows I’d hold the piece up to my face and measure how long it was getting. I think it may have come out too long, but we shall see.

Next step, making the nose cone.