Blanket of Doom

Welcome to Doom


Leave a comment

Knitted Gas Mask Part 3

Here we have it. The front portion of the gas mask is now complete.

Once I completed the canister portion of the nose cone, I sewed it around the circle I had created earlier for the bottom. To give it more of a shape, I created a circle out of fun foam and placed it inside. It worked pretty well to ensure that the canister stays round at all times.

Once that was finished, I sewed that portion to the front of the mask that I had created earlier. I finished it off by crocheting a slip stitch around the eye holes so they would look less raw.

All that’s left to do is attach the front of the mask to the hat portion. I’m planning on using black Velcro for this, and I would really like to place the Velcro in a way that the hat can be worn with out the front of the mask without it being too obvious. I’m waiting until my boyfriend is back in town to do this so that I can be sure everything fits him properly.

I personally don’t think it looks anywhere near as good as the original, but I think that is true for most things. I do have a feeling that it will look way cooler once the front has been placed on the hat and I have pictures of it on an actual person.

Speaking of cool, while I was browsing for the link to the original gas mask, I came across this way cool post. Nothing says awesome like a pink gas mask.

Advertisements


Leave a comment

Knitted Gas Mask Part 1

Last month, I made the mistake of showing my boyfriend this blog. While looking through my postings, he found a post I had made commenting on a knitted gas mask. Being the man he is, he ignored my commentary on the pattern and instead asked if I could make him one.

After thinking for a long while about why I’m dating someone so crazy, I finally gave in and said I’d do it.

Last week I finished up the hat for the base of this mask, and this week I’m working on making the front of the mask.

Creating the front of the mask was easy enough. I worked it in a stocking knit stitch, and bound off stitches to create the eye holes.

Creating the eye holes was really interesting, as I had to hold the piece up to my face and use that to try and guesstimate how wide and long to make each eye hole. I’m glad I have my own room, otherwise people would think I’m crazy, since I would make one row, carry the project to the mirror, hold it up to my face, and sit there thinking about how shape the next row.

Once the eye holes were finished, I continued in the stocking knit stitch until the piece reached past my chin and could touch my neck. Again, I’m sure I looked silly doing this because every few rows I’d hold the piece up to my face and measure how long it was getting. I think it may have come out too long, but we shall see.

Next step, making the nose cone.