Lately, I’ve been somewhat obsessed with looking at book crafts on the internet, and naturally I had to create one of the fancy book purses that seem to be everywhere.
I mentioned it to my sister, who got super excited and asked me if I would be able to make one out of the DSM IV (she’s a newly graduated psychology major). It actually worked out pretty well. The book is nice and thick (it’d have to be to list all the ways you can be crazy), and the DSM V is coming out in September, so I was able to get an outdated copy very cheaply.
Psychiatry was one of my least favorite classes, so I had a lot of fun destroying this book.
I couldn’t find a tutorial I liked on making these. Most seemed to be written for people who can’t sew (or don’t like to). So I free styled it.
I created the inside of the purse using one piece of fabric the size of the book, which like my other book crafts was stitched onto a poster board backing for stability.
I created the pockets using trapezoid-shaped pieces of fabric, which I sewed on in the shape of a rectangle, using elastic at the top. This gave the pockets room to store a bit more than they would have had I sewed them straight onto the purse. It also let the tops of the pockets close a bit, which will hopefully keep the contents in a little better.
This is what it looked like with the sides attached, just prior to attaching the insides to the book.
I really wanted a gold chain handle on the purse, but they only had one option in stock and it was way too expensive for what I wanted ($7 for one handle and the book only cost me $5). So on a hunch I went over one aisle to the jewelry section and found these rings. At $2 a package, they were perfect.
I used fabric strips to attach the purse handles to the book backing, and elastic to attach the clasps to give it a little extra give if needed. Additionally, in order to give the spine some extra stability, I glued a few layers of poster board. This may not be necessary for other books, this one just seemed so wobbly after I stabbed the pages out.
I finished it off by hot gluing the insides into the book cover.
It came out amazing, I’m so pleased with it.
So enjoy a few more photos.